Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 09:16:47 +0000 (GMT)

On 04 Nov, Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Given this I've experimented with screen modes. At the same pixel size
> > and depth I can get rates from 48 to 60 Hz to *just* work. However if
> > I use a rate above 50Hz one of the screen images I use as a backdrop
> > shows some red 'speckles' in dark areas.

> Andrew told me that the video chip of the ARMiniX actually needs a more
> flexible monitor, that can handle low rates, typically 42Hz or less.

Yes. Andrew did caution me about this before I bought the monitor. The snag
is that I needed a monitor that gave a good 'HD' display *and* could be
used with my Iyonix + Linux Box + ARMiniX. So needed three different video
input connector types. Until now it has worked OK.

In terms of image quality the 50Hz seems best. And I hadn't encountered the
"blank screen after module init" until upgrading to the current version of
the OS. So something seems to have changed to affect how easily the ARMiniX
can work with the monitor.

I suspect that it would be possible to solve the problem by tweaking the
MDF to alter the timings. But I've always found this a very obscure and
difficult process as the settings are so arcane and easy to mess up!

Slainte,

Jim