[pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re: POP with paper negs?

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:08:56 -0500 (EST)

From: Richard Urmonas <rurmonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re: POP with paper negs?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:30:08 +101800

> Quoting Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Also, you said "eyes are attracted by light" --- Is that an assertion
> > or a fact?

> I also question this.  My experience has been that with a portrait,
> peoples vision locks onto the face.  The background can be pure
> white, and they will not even notice the background.

I agree. One problem I have is that "eyes are attracted by something."
Eye movements are controlled by gaze and saccade pathways in the brain
and eyes do not get attracted to or by something like that. Then
vision system is very good at processing shapes, etc. through local
contrast rather than intensity scale. So I think the statement quoted
above may be a factoid among some photographers but not a good
explanation given by vision scientists.

Highlights are much less important than midtones in many types of
images, including but not limited to portraits. Others are
commercial/product photos and many high key images like scenes in
heavy fog.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."