[pure-silver] Fishy developer

  • From: "Ben R. McRee" <ben.mcree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:14:47 -0500

Since my local dealer ran out of Ilford liquid paper developer (I had
been using PQ Universal), I bought a bottle of Kodak's Polymax liquid
paper developer.  I have been using it for some time now with good
results.  But from the first batch that I diluted, I have noticed a
distinct, mildly unpleasant odor, somewhat reminiscent of old fish.
I never experienced that with the Ilford developer.  Can anyone
explain where that come from?

(Richard's comment about the old dektol smelling like fish reminded
me that I have been meaning to ask this question.  No telling how old
the bottle of Polymax I bought is.  But the liquid is clear, and I do
mix it fresh for each printing session.)

--Ben