[pure-silver] Re: Fishy developer

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:07:44 -0500

The MSDS for DTPA that I looked at said that it had a slight ammonia odor.  Pure
DTPA probably is odorless, the stated smell may be from some impurity.
Commercial grade triethanolamine contains ~10% diethanolamine which definitely
has an odor.

From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:44:49 -0500

> I looked at the MSDS and the only ingredient listed that might have a
> slight fishy odor is the pentetic acid, pentasodium salt
> (diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid, pentasodium salt).  Amines are
> said to have either an ammoniacal or fishy odor.  This chemical is
> used to chelate calcium and other metals in tap water.

DTPA is odorless. Not all amines are smelly. Triethanolamine has no odor either.
(But triethylamine does smell like fish.)
--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."