[pure-silver] Re: Fishy developer

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:10:28 -0500 (EST)

From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Fishy developer
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:07:44 -0500

> The MSDS for DTPA that I looked at said that it had a slight ammonia
> odor.  Pure DTPA probably is odorless, the stated smell may be from
> some impurity.  Commercial grade triethanolamine contains ~10%
> diethanolamine which definitely has an odor.

Well MSDS describes their particular product alone. To the point, the
concentration of DTPA in aquaous solution like developer solution,
it's odorless and can't be the part of fishy smell described.

I don't know about commercial grade triethanolamine. I routinely get
TEA of 99% or higher. Diethanolamine does smell so if 10% of some
"TEA" is actually DEA, it would smell. Why such a large part of DEA is
left in? Either way, in an actual composition of a solution, Raoult's
Law is also to be remembered.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."