[pure-silver] Re: Selenium followed by T-8 Polysulfide

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:08:21 -0500 (EST)

From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Selenium followed by T-8 Polysulfide
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:45:18 -0500

> My last attempt, which I considered successful, was a small amount of
> sulfide dissolved in my working solution of selenium toner. I did find a
> small enough amount that the odor stopped bothering me, and that amount did
> not have a large effect on the final print tone compared to the selenium.

Did you add sulfide or polysulfide? They are different.

Adding polysulfide used to work for me but when I used up my old
bottle of KRST and switched to a new bottle of KRST several years ago,
this method never worked. Once the polysulfide is mixed to KRST, it
degrades in a matter of several minutes and the solution stains
prints.  I tried to mix KRST and KBT, and also mixed in liver of
sulfur obtained from a different source, but all made the similar
results. So I abandoned this route and now I make selenium-polysulfide
toner similar to POLY toner from scratch.

Change in KRST was noted by people outside the IPI as well. They were
not as active in sharing their findings as IPI. Conservation
scientists at National Museum of Denmark found that the processing
capacity of KRST bath was decreased some time during 1990's.  They
routinely do quality control tests for every so many prints made in
their darkroon.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."