[pure-silver] Re: Selenium followed by T-8 Polysulfide

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:53:45 -0500 (EST)

From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Selenium followed by T-8 Polysulfide
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:22:52 -0500

> How do you make selenium-polysulfide toner similar to POLY toner from
> scratch. (You're referring to the now discontinued Kodak product called
> Polytoner, I assume?)

I wrote a full length description for my silver gelatin booklet, but
the formula goes like this.

Selenium stock:
sodium sulfide 50g
selenium powder 5.0g
water 100ml

Boil water and completely dissolve sodium sulfide. While stirring
vigorously, slowly add selenium powder and keep stirring until
completely dissolved. Filter the solution. (I use a glass jar with
tight lid on a magnetic stirrer with heat pad, so that I don't have to
agitate manually, and my exposure to the fume is also minimied.)

Toner:
liver of sulfur 25g
selenium stock 10ml
sodium carbonate q.s.
borax q.s.
water 1 liter

Dissolve liver of sulfur in a liter of water and add the selenium
stock.  Adjust the pH to 11 to 11.5 range with sodium carbonate,
borax, or both. (Liver of sulfur is not a well defined chemical and
its composition varies.) Filter before use (very important).

The processing capacity is very large. Also the toner can be
replenished with the selenium stock because selenium is spent up
faster. The solution should be kept in full, airtight bottle.
(preferrably wide mouth)

Warning: selenium powder is toxic. Fumes from sulfide and polysulfide
are toxic. Making this toner safely requires at least well ventilated
workroom and good knowledge of laboratory safety.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."