[pure-silver] Re: OT: Concerning Rudeness Was: Re: Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re: POP with paper negs?

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:16:49 +0100

No doubt, you mean well, but from what I've seen, the people on this list
handle English well enough to communicate without too much danger of being
misunderstood. The unfortunate issue of rudeness is more a matter of
expectations of what people want to give or get from being on this list.

I'm sure most, if not all, people on this list, just want to learn, or help
and share what they have learned themselves. To help and share is satisfying
and promotes further learning. However, if this satisfaction is confused
with ego, problems arise. If a different experience or critique, aimed at
the subject at hand, is misunderstood as a personal attack, disaster is
near. After all, this is a public forum, which makes the 'attack' public as
well.

Unfortunately, some recent statements clearly have been directed at the
people and not at the message, and language competence was definitely not
the issue.

We should just stick to the subject matter, listen to what is said and not
who said it, allow for different opinions and treat each other with respect.
We share a fantastic hobby, and there are fewer of us every day. There are
lots of people here, who have much knowledge in certain areas of traditional
photography. There is nobody here who knows it all.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht