[pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re: POP with paper negs?

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:38:27 +0100

To me, there is one basic rule in photography and any other craft.
'You can't argue with success'

Mortensen did great work, so he is worthwhile studying. AA did great work,
so the same counts for his techniques. However, be aware that Mortensen and
AA couldn't even agree on the time of day.

That just shows you, if you have found a way that works for you, stick to
it. Nevertheless, we should be open to try other approaches, because they
might be, at least partially, applicable to our own work or make thinks
easier.

For this discussion, I like to clarify that when talking about highlights, I
don't refer to the brightest specular highlights in the print. I'm talking
about the lightest image dominating areas. In a female portrait this is the
brightest part of the lit side of the face (Zone VII or brighter). In a
waterfall or snow picture it might be (Zone VIII). In a low key image, it
might be much darker.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht