[pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re: POP with paper negs?

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:24:41 +0100

Let me try to get your discussion started.

In general it wouldn't matter which side of the tonal range one exposes for
if the other side is controlled by paper contrast, assuming that both
approaches lead to the same result. However, we need to remind ourselves
that exposure can be fine-controlled down to 1/12 f/stop, where contrast
control is usually in rough 1/2 grade steps. Consequently, there are some
good reasons to pick the highlight side in most circumstances.

1. The eye is 5x more sensitive to highlight density differences than to
shadow variations, making it is easier and more robust to select the
highlights to determine exposure.
2. In most images, the highlights form the dominant pictorial content. Why
select an image of lower priority to pick the point of fine-control?
3. ...

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht