[pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re: POP with paper negs?

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:59:48 -0800 (PST)

I think both of these opinions are somewhat right and
wrong.

People ARE atracted to contrast and this is a long
time honored artistic technique.

Ryuji's description of vision scientists' view however
is inadequate. Actually, where humans are involved, we
tend to look at the eyes initally, and then take in
other points, but repeatedly come back to the eyes...
and they tend to encircle the eye, as I recall, not
just fixate on the pupil

A large portion of viewing time is spent acually on
the eye sockets.

Ray
----

 "eyes are attracted by light" ---

Yes, in large areas of darkness, I think this may be
true.

  My experience has been that
> with a portrait, peoples vision locks onto the face.

Yes in particular, the eyes, which may have the black
pupil in contrast with the white (or light grey)
cornea

One problem I have is that "eyes are attracted by
something."
> Eye movements are controlled by gaze and saccade
> pathways in the brain
> and eyes do not get attracted to or by something
> like that.

I disagree.