[pure-silver] Re: William Mortensen's Glycin Developer

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:55:08 -0500 (EST)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: William Mortensen's Glycin Developer
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:58:00 -0800

>    Glycin as a film developer was usually used in
> combination with para-aminophenol to give increased film
> speed and speed of development with attendant coarser grain.
> I think these old formulas are more of academic interest and
> curiousities than useful, practical formulas and techniques.
> This is not to say that stagnant development doesn't have
> its uses. I believe its used for developing nuclear track
> films and can be used to obtain "compensating" effects by
> taking advantage of the local exaustion of some types of
> developers.

I think what you have in mind for nuclear track films is amidol
developers. Those films are not hardened as pictorial films and
swelling of the emulsion has to be minimized during processing. Amidol
developers are better suited for this purpose.
--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."