[pure-silver] Re: William Mortensen's Glycin Developer

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:48:25 -0600

Richard Knoppow wrote: Mortensen liked more development to put the image on
the film vs. more light and less development. I read once where Mortensen
said he would develop the film until right before the emulsion floated off
ofthe film base. I really wonder how often he did this. I've most of
Mortensen's books. He gives technical data for a number of his prints. For
most of them, he developed for 1 to 2 hours.

Some of Mortensen's printing techniques are interesting. Full instructions
for Abrasiontone are on the Bostick &Sullivan web site. Mortensen was an
etcher and some of his more elaborate productions are more hand art than
photographs. Even more information is available in Mortensen's _Print
Finishing_.

Mortensen's _The Model_, _Pictorial Lighting_, _The Command to Look_, and
_Monsters and Madonnas_ should definitely be re-issued.

-Peter