[pure-silver] Re: William Mortensen's Glycin Developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:14:59 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter De Smidt" <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 9:48 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: William Mortensen's Glycin
Developer

> Richard Knoppow wrote: Mortensen liked more development to
> put the image on
> the film vs. more light and less development. I read once
> where Mortensen
> said he would develop the film until right before the
> emulsion floated off
> ofthe film base. I really wonder how often he did this.
> I've most of
> Mortensen's books. He gives technical data for a number of
> his prints. For
> most of them, he developed for 1 to 2 hours.
>
> Some of Mortensen's printing techniques are interesting.
> Full instructions
> for Abrasiontone are on the Bostick &Sullivan web site.
> Mortensen was an
> etcher and some of his more elaborate productions are more
> hand art than
> photographs. Even more information is available in
> Mortensen's _Print
> Finishing_.
>
> Mortensen's _The Model_, _Pictorial Lighting_, _The
> Command to Look_, and
> _Monsters and Madonnas_ should definitely be re-issued.
>
> -Peter

   Yes, I agree. I don't know who owns the copyrights to
this material but it should not be too difficult to find
out. At the very least it should be made available in PDF
form on the web. This would not be expensive where good
quality ink-on-paper printing would probably be uneconomical
for the relatively small quantities likely salable (but I
could be wrong about that).

---