[pure-silver] Re: new darkroom

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:15:10 -0800

At 03:23 PM 1/7/2005, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    One thing learned by those who operate clean rooms is
>that the proper kind of carpet can reduce dust. The carpet
>holds dust while bare floors let it blow around. The carpet
>must be kept well cleaned.
>    A sealer is important for preventing moisture from
>penetrating the floor or wall. It may reduce dust from
>disintgration of the surfaces but does not reduce dust from
>other sources.
>    Creating a truely dust-free environment is not simple, it
>can be done, as in high class clean rooms, but is expensive.
>An electrostatic dust precipator can be helpful but when
>such a machine isoperated in a darkroom one must make sure
>it doesn't generate Ozone, which has a deleterious effect on
>photographic materials.

I'm 67 years old and have had a darkroom since I was 12 years old. And yes,
I have always had a dust problem. The operative word is... HAD.

I've been using a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze air purifier in my darkroom
for the past five years. As of the past five years, my darkroom has been
totally dust free. I DO NOT have a dust problem when printing. It is simply
a non issue. Which is why so many of my friends like to print in my
darkroom...  :-)

Before buying the Ionic Breeze, I asked the Sharper Image for info on its
Ozone production. They sent it but it is now posted on their web site and
these units comply with all federal Ozone emission standards.

Having said that, I distinctly remember, in my high school chemistry class,
the teacher saying that it was impossible to have a bottle of Ozone since
it very quickly self destructs into O2.

Ozone is a highly unstable molecule that readily donates its extra oxygen
molecule to free radical species such as nitrogen, hydrogen, bromine, and
chlorine. These compounds naturally occur in the atmosphere, released from
sources such as soil, water vapor, and the oceans.

O3 + X -> XO + O2 ( where X may be O, NO, OH, Br or Cl). There is plenty of
O, H and N in our air to quickly snuff out any lingering O3

It is therefore, my conclusion, that the Ozone coming out of the Ionic
Breeze is very short lived. I doubt seriously if there is even a remote
possibility of it getting into or onto, in an amount that might cause
damage, photographic materials. I don't have my Ionic Breeze sitting but a
few inches away from me when I'm working, it is in the corner of the room,
at least three feet from any packaged photographic material. And since my
darkroom is 10' x 10' (not large) I run the unit on low. It has three
speeds, Hi, Med, and Low. Low keeps my darkroom completely dust free.

I have numerous colleagues who have taken my advice and purchased an Ionic
Breeze for their darkroom. They are still thanking me as they can now print
full time rather than clean negatives & glass carriers half time and print
the other half, only to not be able to get all of the dust off and then
spend yet more time spotting prints. I have not had to spot one single
print, because of dust, in the past five years.

I've told this story many times on this list, and other lists. Occasionally
someone has had it with dust cleaning and spotting and ponys up for an
Ionic Breeze. They're available on eBay and there are half size versions as
well. I could have used a half size version since I run my full size unit
on low. When I bought mine, there were no half sized units, but The Sharper
Image had a deal where you buy one and you can get a second for half price.
I did that and the second unit is in our bedroom.

A different version also has a UV light shining on the ion stream. UV light
very quickly destroys Ozone.

O3 + UV, visible light -> O + O2

The free oxygen atom may then combine with an oxygen atom from an existing
ozone molecule to create two ordinary oxygen molecules.

O3 + O -> O2 + O2

I quite often don't run my Ionic Breeze while I'm working in my darkroom.
It collects and destroys all of the dust while I am away. So I (and anyone
else) could indeed, when doing this, use a new UV version without a fogging
problem. And be doubly safe from that dreaded Ozone.

:-)

Jim

PS... there are other ionic air purifiers out there that possibly put out a
huge Ozone stream, which might be able to travel quite a distance before
returning to O2. I did some research before buying the Ionic Breeze and was
satisfied that it was safe. Which has proven to be true.