[pure-silver] Re: new darkroom

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:15:14 -0500

shannon Stoney wrote:
> I am moving my darkroom from TX to TN, and I'm trying to figure out
> what is the best way to build the new one. Here are the choices:
>
> 1. Retrofit a root cellar so that it is less humid. Problems will be
> knocking out some of the concrete block wall for ventilation.
>
> 2. Build a little outbuilding.
>
> 3. Retrofit an upstairs bedroom.
>
> Right now I'm leaning toward #3, but my darkroom has always been in
> the garage before, and I'm wondering if it will be hard to keep it
> clean enough so that it doesn't cause odors in the rest of the
> upstairs.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

I did option 3 in 1976. This was one of the rooms on the second floor of
a Cape Cod type house.I covered the wall where the windows were with
3/5" A/C plywood, with a hole for an air conditioner at the top of one
of the windows. Fastened to that was a 2'x8'x5"deep plywood sink and a
2'x2'x6" deep washing sink. These were screwed together and glued with
2-part resourcinol glue. If the water gets too deep in the washing sink
(and it always does when it is in use) it overflows into the processing
sink. The whole room is about 14 feet wide, so at each end, there is a
tabletop abouut 2'x2' of plywood. All that was varnished with a mixture
of marine varnish (one part) and thinner (3 parts) so as to soak in as
deeply as possible. I then painted it with Klenck's 2-part epoxy enamel
(I used white). This worked fine for many years. The plywood did check
somoe and after a while I ran a finishing sander over it and put another
coat of Klencks. It now leaks very slightly and I seal them with the
goop to seal car windshields around the edges.

I had the floor covered with vinyl; not tiles but big pieces cut from a
roll and sealed at the joints, so if I spill stuff, I have time to clean
it up before it destroys the living room ceiling downstairs. I painted
the walls around the sink with about 18% gray enamel. The ceiling is
white. The walls are white down to about tabletop height, and then 18%
gray the rest of the way down. Around the enlarger, the ceiling and the
walls are flat black. I have 4 little safelights that come with 15 or so
watt bulbs. They throw out so much light that I replaced them with 7 1/2
watt bulbs. The filters are just thick plastic and look like OC
safelight filters.

 ^^-^^ 21:00:02 up 22 days, 10:48, 3 users, load average: 5.34, 5.22, 4.98