[pure-silver] Re: crazy experiment

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:18:12 +0800

Dear Nephew Rob,

     No, no acknowledgment from the palace for my many contributions to
British life, like not living there for 35 years. You'd think that they
could at least send a knighthood in the post, or a premium bond win, or an
old copy of PRIVATE EYE or something. But no.....

     Actually I think that we have stopped getting Empire honours now - if
you are to made a member of something the Prime  Minister sends you
greetings from Canberra and the local mayor pins a pinchbeck medal on you in
the waiting room of the local Centerlink office. If you are especially
famous he comes round the counter to do it. Civic splendour is reserved for
those who can pay for it.

    I wonder if the military would still award a Victoria Cross should the
circumstances warrant? Hope we don't have to find out.

    Uncle Dick