Re: Is linex better than Windows? was Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: Mike Reiser <metalhead1009000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:44:12 -0500

Daniel Dalton wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

If somebody tries to sell you a new car and he tells you that car "is not too bad", what do you think?

OK, well I don't drive, but I see your point. I take that "to bad" back and I'll say "Linux is a fantastic OS since it has lots of documentation available, is free, lots of support, has a pakcage manager, uses less resources and lots more!"

I would like to have the best car at least in some aspects, and not just one that is not too bad.

Yes and linux is fantastic... I just wasn't thinking about the words I was using really, but since I gave you all my reasons I would have thought you would have picked it up?

>> I am? Or I just don't like putting money in people's pockets who don't
deserve it?

If the cost is the reason you don't want to use Windows, it is ok, but why

Its not, if windows what better than linux I would pay for it.

don't you say so? Why do you try to pretend that there are other reasons, like the "big advantages" of Linux?

Because there are, and that is not the only reason. All the reasons I have said so far are the reasons why I choose to use linux.
And the cost is a good thing too.
If linux was not as good as windows I would go with windows.

Well it is already good and lots of blind users are using it.

Yes, maybe. But those "lots" are extremely fewer than Windows users. Don't you agree?

Yes, but they are the ones that want to explor and have a better experience...
If windows was better I would use it.
Its not so I use linux.
Linux is far better in my opinion.
How often does windows crash or ask me a stupid question?
Linux never does this.

One you must pay for one you must not.

Sometimes you need to pay for the good things. :-)

Not in this case. :-)

One is open source one is not.

So? Why should I care that Linux is open source?

Aren't you a programmer?
Don't you like trying out latest bug fixes and new features instead of waiting?
Isn't it good to be able to give it to your friends with lots of freedom?

One has lots of documentation one does not.

Maybe the one you say that doesn't have lots of documentations don't need documentation because it is very easy to use.

What if I want to do more advance things? Like I'm not sure, but say set up a network share or perhaps configure my firewall or test it.
How about ssh or doing some advanced stuff in apps.
what about editing configuration files?

Linux is a lot more powerful than windows.
That is why we need more documentation.

On this list there are many Windows users. How many of us do you think we needed to read Windows books for beeing able to use Windows well?

Well I didn't read a "book" on linux I simply googled and asked for info as I required it.
as I would think you would have done.
Have you ever used google?

Got to run...

I haven't fully switched to linux because I want to use the gui, not the command line. I'm not a programmer and I don't want to ed configuration files jjust to change options. I just want everything to work. We still can't do administration tasks in gnome such as updating the system like you can with windows update. I should be able to at least do that. The only way one can do this currently is creating some long config file. If you want to get a new computer user into linux that would be a daunting thing for them. They say that linux will become an alternative desktop for blind people, it's going to have to get allot easier to work with before people will swith from windows. Just my two cents.
Mike