Re: Is linex better than Windows? was Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:49:38 -0600

I will now enter the fray.
I attempted to run ubuntu 7.1 on my laptop here, and got into a big mess.
First, I found that I was not able to access administrative tasks using the GUI. I don't know Linux command prompt, so I was using the GUI. I got instructions on editing some file to make myself root or administrator or whatever. That never worked for me. So, because I couldn't access the OS and configure it to my liking, I went to uninstall it and run windows. I found my computer unusable because there was something called Grub that was still on my machine. So, I had to get something to edit the MBR. I finally got it fixed, after about a month of messing around with boot disks. However, should I have had to do that? Everyone talks about accessibility. Is this with the GUI, because I don't think it is. Another thing. Firefox 2 support is terrible. So, I attempted to install firefox 3. I figured that if I can get a sighted individual to assist me with administrative tasks, I would at least have an accessible OS. I was not able to install firefox 3, even though I was following directions on the site. So, I don't recommend that anyone install Linux until bugs, serious bugs get worked out. I should not have to edit some file to give me administrative privileges to be able to run my administrative tasks such as updating or connecting to a network.
Nimer J

Daniel Dalton wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Yes, but for a sited person they can just use a gui quite easily... Its not that hard to use, but yes maybe a little more complicated than windows.

But unfortunately we are not sighted. And if something is more complicated... is it something good?

Yes, I was just saying... Its not too hard for us though.

If Ms keeps its policies as it is, there will huge merge from Windows to
Linux in next five years. This is what I feel.

I would hope so.

If you hope so, this means that we can't believe anything you say because you are biased.

I am? Or I just don't like putting money in people's pockets who don't deserve it?
What should I have said?

I don't care if Linux or Windows will be better after who knows how many years. If Linux will become better as you hope, I will start using Linux. If Windows will be better, I will continue to use Windows. It is simple.

Well it is already good and lots of blind users are using it.

Why should I want a certain OS to be better? They are not my own systems, so I don't anything to earn if one or another is better.

One you must pay for one you must not.
One is open source one is not.
One has lots of documentation one does not.

Just a few points.

--
Nimer M Jaber
Confidentiality Notice:

website:
http://www.nimer.biz.vi
To email me, please click on the following link.
nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx
Skype:
nimer.jaber