Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:24:21 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

That is not how a cli screenreader works... You seriously have a lot to learn...

Waw! how many things you know.

No... Not that, I just think you should do a bit of researchon the cli.
Like its obviously a lot more simple than windows or graphical stuff, so not much point for scripting if 95% of things work with them.
(That is the case with brltty)

Please tell me how the things work. I have told you how well works Jaws in Internet Explorer, and you told me that this is not the way a cli screen reader works. Maybe that you are right, because a "cli" screen reader doesn't have too many features to offer for using a web browser.

Well, sure perhaps jaws has more navigation features, but I believe it is still very afficient to navigate with brltty. For example brltty gives you a lot of generic navigation features in all apps and then lynx gives you some too...
So that's not bad...
Like jump down 3 lines or whatever...
Don't think speakup is as developed as brltty.

BRLTTY (which I use) works great with it and lynx has some good navigation

Go ahead and use brltty. As far as I know it can be used with a braille display, but I don't have such an expensive thing.

It can. And yes they are quite expencive sadly.
So if you don't have one you may want to look into speakup.

features built in... Ok not as many as jaws... I'm sure though I could do things in almost the same amount of time as I could on jaws though.

I don't want to be able to do what I want to do "in almost the same amount of time", but I want to do it 10 times faster if possible.

Well I just want to navigate sites quickly and so far that has worked well with lynx and brltty.

Although I haven't really used jaws much...
I used to know all the keystrokes though... They were nothing special.

Waw! You impress me again.
I doubt there is another member of this list that knows absolutely all the hotkeys in Jaws.

No not all of them, the main ones in internet explorer and the the main ones on the desktop...
Come on there aren't a whole lot though.
To many to remember, but not stacks.

Not that those hotkeys are something special, but they are helpful things not offered by other screen readers under other wonderful operating systems.

Well the main ones and actually most of them are offered in a graphical environment. Like with orca.
Not really that necessary in a cmd line.

(Using u to jump to the next unvisited link, l to jump to the next list, i to jump to the next list element, t to jump to the next table, and so on).

Wow. I need to know a lot about the page I'm reading.

What do you need to know? Jaws will tell you how many links are on the page, how many headings, and other things, depending on how you configure it, right

I need to remember where the tables are, if my info is in a list, if I already visted a link.
What about if I do research?
Sometimes I come across the same page... So it could be a visited link...

Orca gives you all that stuff, and lynx doesn't give you all that, but it is still very efficient.

Very efficient to what? It can't even handle javascript, and neither links is not very well for this, but I am mostly curious how we can read and move the cursor line by line or column by column in big tables with lynx.

We don't, we use our screenreader (in my case braille driver) to read the page with its cursor. And javascript, yes a bit of a problem and hopefully there will be a solution soon.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>