Re: Is linex better than Windows? was Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:20:53 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Mike Reiser wrote:

I haven't fully switched to linux because I want to use the gui, not the command line. I'm not a programmer and I don't want to ed configuration files jjust to change options. I just want everything to work. We still

Its not that hard, and you don't need to be a programmer... If you just use the gui you won't get half the power the CLI gives you...

can't do administration tasks in gnome such as updating the system like you can with windows update. I should be able to at least do that. The only way one can do this currently is creating some long config file. If you want to

No its actually quite easy in a cli...
aptitude?

get a new computer user into linux that would be a daunting thing for them.

Well maybe, but I don't think so exactly.
They would just be learning something different to windows...

They say that linux will become an alternative desktop for blind people, it's going to have to get allot easier to work with before people will swith from windows. Just my two cents.

Yes, but people are already switching and for the more basic users it may take longer, but gnome isn't hard to use.
There are just some bugs in orca still, but they are getting fixed...

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>