Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:59:27 +0300

From: "Daniel Dalton" <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Of course in lynx is enough, but what screen reader works with lynx and offers so many options like Jaws offer in Internet Explorer?

That is not how a cli screenreader works... You seriously have a lot to learn...

Waw! how many things you know.
Please tell me how the things work. I have told you how well works Jaws in Internet Explorer, and you told me that this is not the way a cli screen reader works. Maybe that you are right, because a "cli" screen reader doesn't have too many features to offer for using a web browser.

BRLTTY (which I use) works great with it and lynx has some good navigation

Go ahead and use brltty. As far as I know it can be used with a braille display, but I don't have such an expensive thing.

features built in... Ok not as many as jaws... I'm sure though I could do things in almost the same amount of time as I could on jaws though.

I don't want to be able to do what I want to do "in almost the same amount of time", but I want to do it 10 times faster if possible.

Although I haven't really used jaws much...
I used to know all the keystrokes though... They were nothing special.

Waw! You impress me again.
I doubt there is another member of this list that knows absolutely all the hotkeys in Jaws.
You gotta get a prize or something.
Not that those hotkeys are something special, but they are helpful things not offered by other screen readers under other wonderful operating systems.

(Using u to jump to the next unvisited link, l to jump to the next list, i to jump to the next list element, t to jump to the next table, and so on).

Wow. I need to know a lot about the page I'm reading.

What do you need to know? Jaws will tell you how many links are on the page, how many headings, and other things, depending on how you configure it, right after loading the page. And Jaws can also be used not only for browsing the internet for searching nice page to spend the time with, but also using some web applications that you know very well.

Orca gives you all that stuff, and lynx doesn't give you all that, but it is still very efficient.

Very efficient to what? It can't even handle javascript, and neither links is not very well for this, but I am mostly curious how we can read and move the cursor line by line or column by column in big tables with lynx.

Octavian