Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:46:11 +1000 (EST)

From: "Daniel Dalton" <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
I need to remember where the tables are, if my info is in a list, if I already visted a link.
What about if I do research?

You can arrow up and down and read the screen line by line, or you can read sentence by sentence (like in all apps), you can put Jaws to read the whole page, or paragraph by paragraph, you can tab to jump to the next link (or shift+Tab to the previous). Nobody forces you to use some hotkeys, but if you visit a page permanently, then those hotkeys are very helpful.

Ok, so how is visited link useful for most pages?

We don't, we use our screenreader (in my case braille driver) to read the page with its cursor.

Well, it seems that the accessibility under linux depends much on Braille,

Not really. It may be more developed though.

which I don't know, so...
(Because speakup also doesn't offer those features that Jaws offers).

It doesn't need to like brltty, it is text-based.
What do you want it to do?

And javascript, yes a bit of a problem and hopefully there will be a solution soon.

No it won't be any solution sooner or later, because lynx is not developed anymore for a long time.

What if someone began working on lynx again?
Yes, your right though nothing will probably happen...
I'll keep using it until it doesn't work that well for me then go to firefox.
That is why I want to improve the orca script for firefox...

The solution would be a graphical interface under Linux, with a good screen reading support, but as I already said, I don't care about the future. I care much more about the present time.

Well yes, orca is still being worked on... And will just get better. then we can use firefox.

If Linux would be as good as Windows for what I need, I would happily pass to Linux, because I need to make programs for this OS anyway.

If everyone had that aditude nothing would improve...
It will improve over time and I'm sure more and more people will switch.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>