-=PCTechTalk=- Re: audacity/old tape cassette recording project

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:18:57 -0400

Cristy,
    The head cleaner should have that info right on it somewhere.  For newer
cassettes, I'd say about every 30 hours of playing time.  For older
cassettes, I usually reduce that to about 10 hours.  For projects like
yours, I'd be doing it between each rip (and I would run it through two or
three times before starting).  Remember, you are trying to get the absolute
BEST possible sound from these recordings, so you want absolutely no crud
getting in the way.

    Also remember that you MUST let the cleaning solution dry thoroughly
before popping in one of these precious recordings.  The cleaning solution
is designed to actually MELT any plastic material that has flaked off of
tape material and stuck onto the pinch rollers, capstan or the heads
themselves.  If you try running a tape through with this solution still
present, it will go to work on the tape, too.  I cannot stress this
enough!!!            :O)

Peace,
Gman