-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backups

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:47:40 -0400

Patti (and anyone else looking for info on backing up),
    After much thought and a smack on the back of the head by a good friend,
I have come to the realization that my proposed plan for fielding every
question that anyone has ever had about backups is simply way too much for
me to handle.  So, I'm going to first assign a bit of homework for those who
need to learn more about the art of preserving precious data.  Bring up
google.com and type in the words "how to backup pc" (or just click on the
link below).  My search shows 3.75 million hits, but just about everything
everyone needs to know can be found within the first several hits that rise
to the top of that list.  (the first one is a dud as far as methods go, but
it does contain some decent info).  Once everyone understand the basics, we
can handle more targetted questions here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+backup+pc

    The idea is to sit down in a quiet environment and figure out ALL of the
stuff you would hate to lose.  Make a list.  Go through every folder on your
hard drive and make sure you haven't missed anything on your list.  when
you're done, you will know what you need to back up and can choose the best
methods for different things.  After that, the only thing left is to
actually back that stuff up.

    In answer to your original questions, I use several different methods
depending on what I'm backing up, how long I'll need to retain it and how
important it is.  Because I deal with so much data that falls into so many
different categories, I have found it best to back up personal, learning and
entertainment files separately from backing up the operating system itself.
I also have become an expert at reinstalling OS's, so my OS hardly ever gets
backed up.  As a result, my backups consist primarily of CD/DVD burning,
duplication (back up an entire hard drive to another drive) and drive
images.

    For example, the entire part of my music library that has been ripped to
my hard drive is also stored in its ripped formats (MP3, Flac, WMA, etc.)
onto DVDs.  It's not so necessary for me to do this for original music CDs I
own since I can simply rip them again, but it's VERY important for the music
I ripped from Vinyl, Cassettes, etc. since doing all of that work again
would destroy me (not to mention that I no longer have some of the
originals).  This same approach would apply to Home videos and family
pictures if I had any on here.

    What you heard about CDs is correct.  They don't last for 100 years.
The pressed ones might, but not the ones that we use for burning.  According
to several research labs testing their lifespans, they appear to have an
average life of about 5 years, although I have tested some that I have that
are much older and found most of them still working fine.  As a precaution,
I copied their entire contents to my drive and burned them onto a fresh DVD
blank to be safe (6 - 7 CDs can fit onto a single layer DVD blank, so the
space occupied by my backups keeps getting smaller).  DVD's are supposed to
last longer, but I don't have any reliable info on that.

Peace,
Gman