-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Does a reformat lose all installed programs? WAS: giveaway of the ...

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:55:48 -0400

Dolores,
    A reformat wipes the entire drive volume, so you will lose everything on
it that isn't backed up elsewhere.  Even if you back up the entire volume,
you will still have to reinstall all of your programs once the operating
system has been reinstalled.  It's for this reason that a good backup plan
should be a part of everyone's computer maintenance chores.  All of your
important images, song files, documents, etc. (including the games & stuff
that you download) can easily be burned to a CD or DVD for safekeeping, just
in case your OS ever decides to fail on you.

Peace,
Gman