-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HELP with file associations

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:19:06 -0400

Hi Dorothy,
    ACDSee offers both Automatic and Custom installation options and I
always opt for Custom when given the choice.  One part of the Custom install
is the option for setting up your file associations and ACDSee already has
some of them selected by default.  As a result, I HAVE to assume that the
Automatic installation also selects and sets these without giving you a
choice.  That would mean that ACDSee has at least partially taken the
associations away from Photoshop Starter and Starter may need those
associations in order to avoid the need for Importing.  Since Starter is
still the app that opens when you double click on them, I have to further
assume that Starter is not giving up these associations without a fight and
you're the one now caught in the middle.  Of course, all associations should
be fully set for the program you use most often for these things.  If you
only need ACDSee for organizing files that you create or manipulate with
Starter, you are probably using Starter much more often than ACDSee.
Besides, ACDSee can be easily opened up several ways other than double
clicking on an image.

    So, my suggestion would be to go into the settings for ACDSee and
de-select each of the file extentions that you would prefer to control with
Starter.  Next, open up Starter and go into its preferences area and
reselect them in there.  These two tasks 'should' give you back the control
you expect form all associated programs.  If it doesn't fully restore what
you're used to, let me know and we'll dig a little deeper.           :O)

Peace,
Gman