-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HELP with file associations

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:24:16 -0400

Dolores,
    I have another trick to show you with ACDSee.  Not only can it render
images found within WinZip files without making you first decompress them,
it also works great as a duplicate detector.  Note that I'm running version
3.1 simply because I have no need for all the fancy stuff they've added
since then.  As a result, the settings I describe below may be in different
locations.

    Within the options, look for the Filing tab.  Under the Move/Copy
section, set the drop down arrow to "Ask" and check the "Skip when
identical" box.  If you find what you think might be duplicate files (they
MUST have the exact same names or they will not be compared), drag one of
the files from one folder into the other and ACDSee will either Move the
file if it's exactly the same OR it will bring up a box to "ask" what you
want to do with the second non-duplicate file.  You can then accept one of
the options (overwrite, rename, etc.) or simply cancel out with the
knowledge that they are indeed different files.  The comparison is done
using each file's hash which means it goes by the bits that make up the file
rather than simply using the file's name.  In other words, if even one bit
is not the same between the two files, it will not flag them as duplicates,
ensuring you that you will not be overriting one file with another that is
not a true duplicate.

    Better yet, if you go to View and turn on the option to "Show Hidden
files" and also turn off the option to "Hide Non-images", you can use this
duplication finding technique for ANY suspected duplicate files on your
system.  Just steer clear of system folders with the app so you don't
accidentally blow up your system.        :O)

Peace,
Gman