-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Subfolders not Showing Up In OE6

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:13:42 -0400

Hi Toni,
    For whatever reason, OE occasionally looses 'sight' of one or more of
its DBX files.  The fix for this is easy, but not necessarily simple.
Follow the steps below and ask if anything is not clear enough.  For
simplicity's sake, "OE folder" means a folder that exists inside Outlook
Express.  All other folder references are regular folders on your hard drive
(accessible through Windows Explorer or My Computer).

1.    Within Windows Explorer or My Computer, create a new folder at the
same parent location as your DBX store folder (you already sent me the path
to your store folder, so I am assuming you're familiar with this location).
Although I will be referring to it as "the temp folder", the name you give
it doesn't matter since it will be deleted after all missing folders are
fixed.

2.    Identify a single DBX file in the Store folder (or within your backup,
if the two have differences) that is not showing up properly within OE.

3.    Move that DBX file to the temp folder (it MUST be moved from the main
Store folder for this to work).

4.    Go into OE and create a folder using exactly the same name as the DBX
file you just moved (without the .dbx extension).  So, if the dbx file is
called 'stationery.dbx', name the new OE folder 'stationery'.  If the dbx
file is called 'stationery (1).dbx', then you will need to call the new OE
folder 'stationery (1)'.  The OE folder can be created almost anywhere
within OE, since it can easily be moved to its usual location afterwards.

5.    Click directly on the new OE folder.  This will force OE to create a
corresponding (and fully linked) DBX file in its Store folder for that new
OE folder.

6.    Now click on any other OE folder to take the focus off of the new one.
If you skip this step, you won't be able to continue with the directions.

over to the main Store folder.  When asked if you wish to overwrite the
existing file, select Yes.

8.    Head back into OE and click directly on the new folder.  All of your
old saved messages will now show up inside it and you can move the folder to
wherever you want it to be, assuming it's not there already.

9.    Rinse and Repeat the above for all other unlinked DBX files.

Peace,
Gman