-=PCTechTalk=- Backups

  • From: "Glo" <redowl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 02:29:33 -0700

Say G, what about those backup instructions you were writing a long time
ago, did you ever finish that project?  I think HB was also inquiring about
it, along with a few others.  I'm asking because my hard drive died
recently, it was just before I went on vacation.  While I was gone my friend
was supposed to be fixing it (at that point we didn't realize yet that it
was dead), and when he did figure it out he copied everything to a disk and
it GOT LOST!!!  So here I am with an empty computer, all financial records,
pictures, game scores, music, etc., gone.  My husband was sick for a very
long time before he passed away and all of the pictures I took of him were
on that hard drive, I'll never save anything important ever again, it's back
to throw-away cameras with paper pictures.  It's the most miserable feeling
in the world and I don't want it to happen again ever.  I have tons of CDs,
but no clue how or what to back up and if I am backing up or copying or if
they are both the same thing (?) The only thing I ever backed up was Quicken
and I sent that to another place in the computer, how stupid was that?? I
was sick over the whole thing, wouldn't even use the computer for weeks,
except for my online banking.  Maybe everyone already knows how to do
backups and you abandoned the project?  ~Glo

Gman wrote: It's for this reason that a good backup plan
should be a part of everyone's computer maintenance chores.  All of your
important images, song files, documents, etc. (including the games & stuff
that you download) can easily be burned to a CD or DVD for safekeeping