-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backups

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:49:11 -0400

Excellent advice, James!

It's probably not an issue within a workplace, but another disk killer is
sunlight.  When not in use, put the disks back into their jewel case and
store them away from windows.  Temperature fluctuations can also reduce the
lifespan of a disk, so keep them away from ducts and registers that deliver
conditioned air (heat &/or cool).  Fingerprints can also contain oils and
other substances that will eventually eat through the protective lining of a
disk, or at least make it much harder for the beam to read the data.  I'm
sure there's more, but it should help give everyone the idea that these
disks are not as indestructable as we were told when they first came out.

Peace,
Gman