-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backups

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:37:47 -0400

Some of what you read "somewhere" may have come from right here.  I've been
preaching for as long as I've been preaching about the importance of backing
up anything you wouldn't want to lose.  Hard drives fail and there's no way
to get around that.  It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.  Space
constrainst have typically forced people to move to larger "NEW" drives in
the past, but how many people are having a problem finding space on last
year's 500GB drive and now need a 1TB drive to replace it???  Better yet,
it's easy to retire a 20GB drive to the closet when it's being replaced with
a new 320GB drive.  But most folks will repurpose their older 320GB when
they replace it with a new 750GB drive.  I mean, who really wants to leave
320GB of space go to waste???  So, as time marches on and drives continue to
get bigger and bigger, we're going to see a LOT more older drives remain in
use as secondary storage locations (the new drive should always be set up as
the main one since it has the latest technology and is less likely to
develop issues that would affect the ability to boot into the system).

What's normally stored in secondary locations???  Well, pretty much all the
stuff that most folks never want to lose.  In other words, we're putting our
most precious data on the space more likely to fail.  Ironic, wouldn't you
agree?  So, of course it's imperative that this data be backed up in at
least one other location for WHEN the big one hits that drive.  Every method
of backing up has its Pros & Cons and I honestly don't think I have the time
to list them all (methods or P&C's).

So, perhaps the best approach I can take with this entire topic would be to
just field everyone's individual questions about backing up in general.
Over time, I would hope that all subtopics & questions would be explained as
thoroughly as possible and that everyone would then have an excellent
understanding of their options for backing up in a way that makes the most
sense to their individual needs.

First, I'll need to get my spell checker installed and then I'll post an
introductory post to the group so that everyone who cares to can hop aboard.
If I start it right here, there are too many people with interest who will
not see this post and the entire effort could go unnoticed.  My initial post
will contain most of what I've already typed out here to get things started
(so don't go thinking I've lost my ability to remember what I've already
said        lol).

Peace,
Gman