-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Surge protectors and extension cords

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:16:08 +1200

Don!

Thanks again for excellent advice. I have a few questions, but need to
first understand why you advise against Surge Protectors.
 Power in NZ is at 240 volts, and I have the option of buying

1. an O.B.O betterman German Surge protection device which is basically
a Circuit breaker containing a Cartridge and is installed in the Outside
Main switchboard next to the Power company's meter.

The Cartridge trips (or burns out) at 280 volts (and if burnt out needs
replacing). This would appear to protect the whole house.
2. A SpikeFree Chinese product which plugs to an internal socket near
the computer and provides 8 power outlets, two phone line sockets, TV
cable and two Satellite sockets and is rated at 5,200 joules

I had thought one (or both) of these would be essential items, and THEN
add a UPS. I do not have the luxury of sitting by my machine most of the
day, and in fact may not check emails for a coupla days so if the power
did fail it would need a big UPS to cover that lappse of time. But if a
close lightning strike had fried the rest of the house, I would not even
be able to make  coffee.

Roger W.