-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Surge protectors and extension cords

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:50:08 -0400

Two reasons:

1.  A sufficiently close lightning strike or other source of a massive
surge of current through a surge protector could allow the surge to
arc across the protective device in the surge protector.  A 650 joule
protector is not likely to stop a 5000 joule surge.

2.  Surge protectors do nothing to protect against sudden drops in
voltage such as a brief interruption of power that many power
companies provide to their customers.

3. At the price of a high rated surge protector (a few thousand
joules) you could buy an uninterruptible power supply that would
provide sufficient time to safely shut down a computer in an outage
and would also prevent lost data and/or corrupted files in a brief
power interruption.  And provide excellent surge protection.

4.  Have you ever read the "fine print" on one of those $250,000
guarantees?  It is payable only if the surge protector fails to
perform as designed.  Therefore, the guarantee on a 650 joule surge
protector that melts when hit with a 5000 joule surge is worthless.

Don