[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 07:04:25 +0300

Hi John

>> As explained on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitDefender and on
>> www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-14-en--BitDefender-Free-Edition.html, the
>> free version of BitDefender does not have realtime protection, which is
>> a must for real protection. It's not a good idea to recommend this
>> product to normal users. It's useless except to scan the computer if one
>> wants to make sure one's normal antivirus program has missed something.
>
> I'm not sure how much good this real time protection provides.

On the contrary, you need real-time protection even more on a broadband
connection. If your AV doesn't have RT, it won't prevent any infection
by any malware.

> Perhaps it is because the setup here has a NAT firewall, Hosts file
> protection, Spywareblaster and other measures keeping things out.
> If a system was relying on dialup alone I would expect the problems you
> mention. Such things are extremely rare here, and usually result from
> doing something stupid.

Firewalls and the other things you list do not prevent infections due to
people running infected email attachments and infected programs they
download, which is how most people get infected.