[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 11:47:47 +0300

Hi Scott

> EGlnl> What do you think about ProcessGuard? I'm very impressed. It
> EGlnl> looks like an essential security tool.
>
> WildersSecurity has a longish page on it about various problems and
> why they dropped support.

Do you mean one of the pages linked to on the closed forum's main page?
I couldn't find anything except the explanation on
www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=159189 which says that the
forum was closed due to missing company representative activity in the
forum and problems with customer support but doesn't mention any program
problems. And the free version doesn't get customer support anyhow.

What is a bit strange is that the latest version mentioned in the forum
is v3.410 whereas the vendor's download page
www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard provides 3.150.

> EGlnl> It would have worked in older versions, but it's been a while
> EGlnl> since updates always check for avnotify.exe and reinstall it if
> EGlnl> it's missing or renamed.
>
> Kinda hard to create a file when a folder already exists with the same
> name.  Still, it may not work, since the update may fail noisily at that
> point when the file can't be replaced.

It works. Congratulations! The only problem is invisible to normal users
in the events log. This has an entry with instructions that will if
carried out cause reinstallation of avnotify.exe (and renaming of the
folder to avnotify.exe.tmp). I'll be posting the solution in the Avira
forum soon. Do you prefer to have your name mentioned or not?