[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 17:54:47 +1200

Ekhart GEORGI (last name last) wrote:
> Hi John (oops, the answer slipped out before it was ready)
>
>>> As explained on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitDefender and on
>>> www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-14-en--BitDefender-Free-Edition.html, the
>>> free version of BitDefender does not have realtime protection, which is
>>> a must for real protection. It's not a good idea to recommend this
>>> product to normal users. It's useless except to scan the computer if one
>>> wants to make sure one's normal antivirus program has missed something.
>> I'm not sure how much good this real time protection provides.
Spywareblaster is a form of real time protection. Any spyware in the
system won't work if it is up to date.
That makes it easy to remove.
I wonder how well the same principle would work for a virus?
> If your antivirus doesn't have real-time protection (often called
> "guard" or "shield"), it won't prevent any infection by any malware,
> even by all the malware it knows about. Basically, an AV without RT is
> less than worthless because it gives people a false sense of security.
So does real time protection. There are bound to be infections that can
get past it.

> On the contrary, you need real-time protection even more on a broadband
> connection. Firewalls and the other things you list do not prevent
> infections due to people running infected email attachments and infected
> programs they download, which is how most people get infected. And yes,
> most infections are due to stupidity. If people didn't open attachments
> or install programs that aren't from a trustworthy source, they would
> probably never get infected even without antivirus and without antispyware.
So maybe we need utilities to guard against that then?
Does Thunderbird mail question whether a user wants to open or save an
attachment? I thought it did.

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 497166248   Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786