[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 10:30:36 +0300

Hi Scott

> I installed AVG 8 on a customers computer earlier this week (the only
> reason I don't use AntiVir is the popup message), and liked it.

It's easy to turn off by using ProcessGuard
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard, which i think everyone should
have anyhow.

(There are also other easy solutions, but these are more geeky, including:

Disable AntiVir Notifier in Windows XP Home Edition:
1. Boot into safe mode
2. Log in as Administrator
3. Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
right click on it in Explorer, go to
Properties->Security->Advanced->Edit then select the option to not let
it execute for all users.
4. Reboot into regular Windows.

> Effective antivirus programs:
>
> The April edition of Virus Bulletin announced that 5 programs scored
> 100%:
> Avira Antivir Personal
> ESET NOD32
> Fortinet FortiClient
> Frisk FPROT Antivirus
> Symantec Norton Antivirus
>
> Of those, only AntiVir is free.

While these results are close to those obtained by better and more
scientific methods, it seems that Virus Bulletin's methods are flawed
and not independent. It's associated with some big virus vendor and
bases its results mainly on testing for huge amounts of viruses of which
most are already "extinct" instead of testing for what's really going
around right now. www.av-comparatives.org is much, much more reliable.

> Well, perhaps I should take another look at Avira AntiVir.

It's really quite amazing due to the combination of highest number of
updates, fastest update after virus outbreak, and by far the highest
detection of new, unknown malware through heuristic analysis. I've seen
some incredible statistic charts, but i couldn't find them quickly now.
I think they were at the above site.

> For those who want a short summary, 2 programs get a 100% rating, and
> both are free. Comodo, of which I've heard much good, is one of the
> two; I installed it on a customer's computer the other day and liked
> it. It has modes for training (on a clean computer) and for
> installing.

I tried it and found it quite confusing, and i kept running into some
problem. I don't really remember the details, but i do remember i really
tried to find something else besides the Sunbelt firewall, which i
thought was the only excellent free one, and i was very disappointed.
I'll have to try it again.

> Zone Alarm scores 74%. Norton, Sunbelt, Avira, AVG, PC Tools, McAfee,
> Windows Live OneCare, and BitDefender firewalls scored 18% or less.

The Sunbelt result is very surprising. I'll have to look at the results
and look for a new free alternative.