[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: Cyril Halbach <cyril.kr3y@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 01:07:40 -0400

Hi Ekhart,

Ekhart GEORGI (last name last) wrote:
> Hi Cyril
>

>> I downloaded free-av and ran it on myt Vista machine.  Of course I
>> realize there is over a TB of drives which I had not detached but it ran
>> for an hour and a half and I went to bed leaving it running.   About
>> halfway thorugh the test it apparently ran across something that looked
>> like a virus and then stopped to wait for action .
>>
>> Needless to say it sat there all night until I got up i nthe morning 6
>> hours later.
>>
>> I much prefer to use AVG which runs through the entire test and then
>> allows you to delete or VAULT the bummers.
>>

> I agree that would be better, but you can easily prevent the annoying
> situation you described of an interrupted scan waiting for input by
> turning off "interactive" by changing the settings (configuration <
> expert mode). That way, you can have AntiVir automatically quarantine or
> ignore anything it finds. Then you can go back and do whatever you need.
>
> I'm sure you agree it's better to find out you have malware on your
> computer and to then have AntiVir go back to remove it instead of using
> AVG and not even knowing you're infected. AntiVir can also check for
> updates many times a day and its manufacturer provides new updates much
> more often and much faster than AVG's manufacturer, and the free version
> of AVG can only check for updates once a day.

I agree that would solve the hang up problem. However then it would have
destroyed or quarantined one of my good programs which does not have any
malware in it.

I would have a similar problem setting up an automatic arrangement with
some of the registry cleaners.  For whatever reason they always want to
blow away the registry entires fo the Watchtower Library.  If I do not
manually deselect those entries it means a reinstall of the program.

Cy

--
Cyril Halbach