[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 08:49:19 +0300

Hi Cy

>> I agree that would be better, but you can easily prevent the annoying
>> situation you described of an interrupted scan waiting for input by
>> turning off "interactive" by changing the settings (configuration <
>> expert mode). That way, you can have AntiVir automatically quarantine or
>> ignore anything it finds. Then you can go back and do whatever you need.
>>
>> I'm sure you agree it's better to find out you have malware on your
>> computer and to then have AntiVir go back to remove it instead of using
>> AVG and not even knowing you're infected. AntiVir can also check for
>> updates many times a day and its manufacturer provides new updates much
>> more often and much faster than AVG's manufacturer, and the free version
>> of AVG can only check for updates once a day.
>
> I agree that would solve the hang up problem. However then it would have
> destroyed or quarantined one of my good programs which does not have any
> malware in it.

I suggested ignore or quarantine as the default action, neither of which
destroys any program. And removing a program from quarantine is very
easy. Two clicks of the mouse and anything in Quarantine is restored and
running.
But I suggest first running AntiVir (and any other new security or
registry cleaner program) with "ignore" or something similar as the
default action. Then you can look at the report and let AntiVir do
whatever you need. If AntiVir found only baddies and didn't claim any of
your good programs are baddies, you can redo the scan with "delete" as
the default. By the way, i would be extremely surprised and very
interested if AntiVir should produce any false positives. If there is
one, it's easy to add it to the ignore list (configuration < expert mode
< scanner < scan < exception).

> I would have a similar problem setting up an automatic arrangement with
> some of the registry cleaners.  For whatever reason they always want to
> blow away the registry entires fo the Watchtower Library.  If I do not
> manually deselect those entries it means a reinstall of the program.

All good registry cleaners and AVs let you add programs to an ignore
list. In addition, all provide a simple two-click undo solution.