[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 15:57:28 +0300

Hi Cyril

> I downloaded free-av and ran it on myt Vista machine.  Of course I
> realize there is over a TB of drives which I had not detached but it ran
> for an hour and a half and I went to bed leaving it running.   About
> halfway thorugh the test it apparently ran across something that looked
> like a virus and then stopped to wait for action .
>
> Needless to say it sat there all night until I got up i nthe morning 6
> hours later.
>
> I much prefer to use AVG which runs through the entire test and then
> allows you to delete or VAULT the bummers.

I agree that would be better, but you can easily prevent the annoying
situation you described of an interrupted scan waiting for input by
turning off "interactive" by changing the settings (configuration <
expert mode). That way, you can have AntiVir automatically quarantine or
ignore anything it finds. Then you can go back and do whatever you need.

I'm sure you agree it's better to find out you have malware on your
computer and to then have AntiVir go back to remove it instead of using
AVG and not even knowing you're infected. AntiVir can also check for
updates many times a day and its manufacturer provides new updates much
more often and much faster than AVG's manufacturer, and the free version
of AVG can only check for updates once a day.