[pchelpers] Re: AVG no longer free

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 00:18:05 +0300

Hi Jackie

> I have WU on auto

Do you mean Windows Update? What does that have to do with this topic?

> mine is free its ongoing testing

Do you mean Windows Live OneCare? I assume it's not easy to get it free
since you spent so much time trying to find "good" deals on line for Pen.

> I also got my router configure too plus the cable and phone modem before
> I I had the cable modem  as far as the firewall is concern.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

> But you never
> know these days- nothing is secure -- can you tell me where you got your
> stats from please?  My son has gone through many antiviruses and he manages
> to pick those trojans or viruses up somehow  he hasn't tried WLOC yet--
> WLOC is always being tested and its never stops with its advancement I
> thought it was second from the top  but not sure...

The best place to start looking for info nowadays is usually Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_OneCare#Criticism bases the
following on tests by the best and, AFAIK, only scientific AV testing
organisation, to which it also provides a link. Avira AntiVir was the best:

AV-Comparatives.org also released results that placed Windows Live
OneCare last in its testing of seventeen anti-virus products. In
response, Jimmy Kuo of the Microsoft Security Research and Response
(MSRR) team pledged to add "truly important" ("actively being spread")
malware as soon as possible, while "[test detection] numbers will get
better and better" for other malware "until they are on par with the
other majors in this arena." He also expressed confidence in these
improvements: "Soon after, [other majors] will need to catch up to us!"

Since then AV-Comparatives.org has upgraded Windows Live OneCare
placement in their anti-virus lineup to second worst in its testing of
seventeen anti-virus products.