[opendtv] Re: Euro Cars

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:39:02 -0800

Dan wrote:
(By the way, the German autos are by far the best: Volkswagen, Audi,
Mercedes: they are what to drive).

I suggest that you check the Consumer Reports 2008 Annual Auto Issue: their
extensive automobile ownership research program finds that the reliability
of European brands is average or worse and rank third behind Asian and
American models. The most unreliable of the European models are VW, Audi,
Jaguar and Land Rover.

American passenger cars generally do better in these rankings and Ford is
the most reliable U.S. model (as it is in Europe, as I recall).  Quote from
CU: "with cars such as the Fusion, Ford is beginning to distance itself from
other domestic makes".

There is much similarity between Ford and GMs American and European models,
i.e.: Fords Fusion and Focus and GMs Impala and Malibu. However, You are
correct that engines and suspension performance differ but that is by
design, which others on this list have addressed.

Having lived in Europe for eight years and also having extensive driving
experience on the Continent as well as in England, it is my observation that
a drivers needs are much different between Europe and America.  European
rural roads tend to be more challenging and their "freeways" can be more
akin to racetracks, where the lead foot rules. Our American driving
experience tends to be very benign by comparison.