[opendtv] Re: Euro Cars

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:51:07 -0800

Dan wrote: "(By the way, the German autos are by far the best: Volkswagen,
Audi,
Mercedes: they are what to drive)."
Dale wrote: "I suggest that you check the Consumer Reports 2008 Annual
Auto Issue: their extensive automobile ownership research program finds
that the reliability of European brands is average or worse and rank third
behind Asian and American models. The most unreliable of the European
models are VW, Audi, Jaguar and Land Rover."

I'm a big fan of Consumer Reports.  I fill out their survey every year so
they have my data.

Certainly, the European vehicles are not nearly as reliable.  But when I
said that Volkswagens, Audis and Mercedes (I've yet to get my hands on a
Porsche in Germany) are the cars to drive, I am speaking about
"Fahrvegnugen" (if that is a word).  I was really meaning driving
performance and style.  I can't speak to long term ownership (at least not
the modern ones).  Although I must say that that Opel was very close to
the Volkswagens.

By the way, I think the diesel engine in the Opel I drove was
super-charged, not a turbo.  I forget.

But then Bert suggests that I consider an Aura with a 3.5L V6.  Sure it
might bring back the spunk (although I doubt it having had two Pontiacs
with the 3.6L V6 and 3.1L V6, both very mild mannered, and even worse, the
transmission coupled to them are not geared properly), but then it is back
to poor fuel economy.

No, the diesel I drove had good torque and was coupled with a great
transmission that both got off the line AND gave great highway economy.

I drove the Opel wagon on the Autobahn at 125MPH and it felt so secure, my
wife didn't believe I was going that fast.  I have the video to prove it.
Of course, one could never do that in the States even if it was legal: our
roads are not engineered or installed like the Autobahn.

Sorry to keep the discussion going about a non-DTV related issue.

Dan