[opendtv] Re: Euro Cars

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:54:16 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> I believe that the "large things" (SUVs) were classified as Trucks
> so that automobile emission standards did not apply.

True, both the corporate average fuel economy regs and the emissions
standards divide vehicles up into broad categories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_emission_standard#Motor_vehicles

Until the new CAFE standards take effect, the corporate average has to
be 27.5 mpg for all cars produced by a company, and starting 2007, only
22.2 mpg for "light trucks," i.e. 6000 lb or less. SUVs and pickups
usually fit the "light truck" category, with a few truly obscene
exceptions.

The light truck CAFE requirements have been climbing slowly since 1979,
and cars have been steady at 27.5 since 1985.

The new standards aim at 35 mpg by 2020, for cars *and* light trucks,
which European auto fleets no doubt already meet.

So this CAFE requirement intrinsically controls the carbon emissions per
unit distance, even if the US emission standards don't currently list
carbon as one of the controlled pollutants.

US emission standards restrict emissions of carbon monoxide, oxides of
nitrogen, particulate matter, formaldehyde, and non-methane organic
gases or non-methane hydrocarbons. Not carbon. And the limits are given
in grams/mile traveled, similar in this respect to European standards.