[opendtv] Re: Euro Cars

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:38:52 -0500

A few years ago in Italy I rented a Smart four4 diesel.
It cruised nicely at around 100 on the autostrada.
Since I picked it up at the Termini train station, I did something I had previously sworn I wouldn't do. Drive in central Rome.
Getting about 60 mpg was nice.

The European diesels use a different fuel formulation, though I think the US is getting closer to it. The other problem is US EPA regs are based on emissions per gallon, not emissions per mpg. Maybe the new energy secretary will make the rules a bit less stupid.