[opendtv] Euro Cars

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:18:20 -0800

I've driven European GM cars (Jeep, Opel) and the American equivalents.
They don't compare.  The Euro cars are faster and spunkier.  I'm guessing
it is in the programming and I bet the emissions are not as strict.  Or
maybe just cheaper components (like smaller exhaust pipes).  (By the way,
the German autos are by far the best: Volkwagen, Audi, Mercedes: they are
what to drive).

The last car I rented in Europe was an Opel Vectra wagon with a 1.9
turbo-diesel.  Those cars are so practical, stylish and comfortable, my
wife wanted to buy one in the states even though she doesn't like wagons.
She was really disappointed that they aren't available here in the US, at
least not like the Opel.  The Chevy Malibu wagon is the US equivalent, but
not really.  Not in finish, handling and certainly no deisel engine.

Truth is, US car makers don't make cars that most of us want.  The Toyotas
and Hondas are more expensive and out-sell.  Toyota is now the biggest
auto manufacturer in the world and they don't make massive vehicles that
don't do anything like GM.

Dan