[opendtv] Re: Euro Cars

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:56:15 -0500

Peter Wilson wrote:

> Here's a survey in the UK.

And it shows that Japanese cars are better than European cars for long
term reliability.

That's true according to US surveys too, and it's always been the case.
European cars have never been great for reliability, even though the
know-nothing people often interviewed on radio and TV shows don't know
that.

But what Dale says is also true. American cars, lately, at least some of
them, have been doing very well compared with all comers. Here's an
example about 2007 models:

http://www.standardnewswire.com/news/105981712.html

I don't think European cars have ever had a great reputation for
reliability per se, compared with American cars, for as long as I've
been around anyway. The Japanese instantly built a reputation for high
reliability when they first started appearing all over the world, in the
late 1960s and 1970s. And now, it looks like some US models are catching
up and even blowing past.

The problem is that the US car buyer most often doesn't know this. They
are jaded against any American car, I mean car rather than truck or
similar hog. And they confuse the Euro car reputation for great handling
and fuel economy with reliability. They aren't the same thing.

Strangely enough, even cars that share the same platform and engines
across the pond fare differently. I'm too lazy to find the links right
now, but the survey of the 2007 Saab 9-3 I saw showed poor reliability
across the board, while its Saturn cousin was above avergage in all
categories.