[opendtv] Re: Euro Cars

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:11:22 -0500

At 11:18 AM -0800 12/12/08, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I've driven European GM cars (Jeep, Opel) and the American equivalents. They don't compare. The Euro cars are faster and spunkier. I'm guessing it is in the programming and I bet the emissions are not as strict. Or maybe just cheaper components (like smaller exhaust pipes). (By the way, the German autos are by far the best: Volkwagen, Audi, Mercedes: they are what to drive).

The last car I rented in Europe was an Opel Vectra wagon with a 1.9 turbo-diesel. Those cars are so practical, stylish and comfortable, my wife wanted to buy one in the states even though she doesn't like wagons. She was really disappointed that they aren't available here in the US, at least not like the Opel. The Chevy Malibu wagon is the US equivalent, but not really. Not in finish, handling and certainly no deisel engine.

Truth is, US car makers don't make cars that most of us want. The Toyotas and Hondas are more expensive and out-sell. Toyota is now the biggest auto manufacturer in the world and they don't make massive vehicles that don't do anything like GM.

Have you looked at the Toyota Tundra Truck, or the Sequoia SUV, or the Land Cruiser SUV?

Great vehicles, but they deliver lower MPG than the GM equivalents.