[opendtv] Re: Euro Cars

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:24:23 -0500

At 3:30 PM -0800 12/16/08, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Craig: "Have you looked at the Toyota Tundra Truck, or the Sequoia SUV, or the Land Cruiser SUV?"

Well, I guess it is all relative. Those are not really considered "big" where I come from.

What planet is that?

;-)

I would say they are good sized vehicles but these are the largest vehicles that Toyota makes, they match up to mid-sized models from GM, Ford and Chrysler who make even bigger ones.

Sorry, but these are full sized vehicles; but you are correct that GM and Ford make even bigger ones, like the Excursion and the Hummer.

Chevrolet is even advertising that the Silverado gets better gas mileage than the Tundra. The Silverado is GM's full size pickup; the Colorado is their mid size, comparable to the Toyota Tacoma.

I will admit that GM, Ford and Dodge make larger trucks than the Silverado for commercial applications, but these are not typically consumer applications, unless you are towing a bunch of horses to a show or a 30 foot boat. Same comparisons can be made with the SUV lines.

The point is that ALL car companies offer the American market what sells well in this market. Econo boxes have not sold well in this market until gas reached $4 per gallon. But we can all look forward to driving smaller vehicles as the new CAFE standards kick in.

And, to be honest, I am not against a big vehicle when it for a purpose. But as I said, I'm against massive vehicles that don't do anything, e.g. the H2 and such. Of course, it might not be the auto makers that are the problem but the people that buy them for vanity.

Sounds much like the bleeding heart lawyer I heard on the radio today, complaining about a guy trying to sell a well located parking space in Vail, Colorado for $500,000. Something about this looking bad to those who are less fortunate...

Perhaps its time to make vanity illegal.

Might hurt business in Las Vegas though...